E-Sports Takes Video Gaming Success to the Next Level

Charles Leslie

Members of the Eisenhower High School esports team take part in the first round of a Smash Tournament on Nov. 6 at EHS. The new esports team is finding great success, both in competition and in helping players find ways to make their gaming skills pay off in the real world.

Jasmine Traxler, Staff Reporter

Believe it or not, playing video games can earn you a free ride to college. In fact, Christian “Chris”  Vazquez, who ranks as champ 2 on 3v3 in Rocket league, has been offered several full ride scholarships from colleges such as Rogers State University.

Not only can playing video games pay for your college tuition, did you know that esports is now considered a real sport? Each player has to train just like any other athlete.  The players practice every day after school, the majority of them training for hours on end.

The students were originally given a storage room to clean out in order to make a gaming space. Low and behold, the gamers made a sanctuary where they can practice and game in peace. Charles Leslie has been the teacher and authority figure fighting to make our esports team official. Leslie is working day and night to ensure these gamers are treated properly and fairly. One main goal Leslie and the rest of the esports team work hard on is to change the way gamers are viewed. A common misconception that bothers the team is that “gamers are lazy and antisocial.” Leslie said, “They aren’t antisocial, they just speak a different language.”

Another issue among the gaming community is the stereotype that “gaming is just for boys.” However, the females on the team would say otherwise. The teams meet in room 233 during ninth hour and have different practice times for each game throughout the week.