Eagle Victory over City Rival Wolverines a Bright Spot in 2021 Football Season

Jasmine Traxler

Ike’s football team takes the field against their rivals from MacArthur High School during the 2021 season.

Tequila Campbell, Reporter

The Eisenhower High School Eagles  versus the Lawton High Wolverines is one of the biggest high school football rivalries in Oklahoma. Since 2008, Lawton High School football has held a winning streak over the Eisenhower team. However, this all ended on September 17, 2021 with a 59-23 Eisenhower win. The season is off to a good start! 

One Eisenhower football player, TreyVon Walton, even received MVP from his performance in this game. After the Wolverines got a touchdown, the Eagles were able to get the ball to Walton, who found a hole in the Wolverine defense and gained a 69-yard touchdown, tying the game. When the eagles got the ball again, it was handed back to Walton for a 50-yard touchdown and a score of 14-07, Eagles. Then, Bryan Crittenden and Ziaire Walton scored touchdowns, and finally Aldo Hernandez with a 41-yard field goal ended the game with another Crittenden touchdown. 

In a recent interview, head Eagles football coach, Eric Gibson, stated that this win was a ¨continuation of the camaraderie already established” from their morale in the summer. Gibson plans to focus on earning the Eagles a spot in the playoffs for the rest of the season. With the wins the team has been getting, this dream of Gibson’s isn’t that far away. Gibson said that the seniors who have two years of starting experience is what has set this year’s team apart from previous years. With the continuation of the season, Gibson hopes to see all seniors graduate and have spots available for those coming from the secondary school.